Monday, August 24, 2009

Movie Review: District 9

I have to admit, I was extremely concerned going into District 9 that I was going to be pummeled with heavy-handed political commentary. I'm a big fan of sci-fi, and District 9 looked like the best sci-fi flick to come along in quite some time. So naturally, the whole 'aliens in concentration camps' angle concerned me, since nothing would ruin it faster for me than another lecture from Hollywood on the evils of Guantanamo or some crap like that. Lucky for me, there was no preachiness to be had in District 9. Just good old alien shoot-em-up!

Now, don't get me wrong. District 9 is clearly a re-telling of the apartheid history of South Africa. I mean, it even takes place in Johannesburg. But the politics really take a back-seat to the personal story of the characters and the sweet action scenes in this movie. At no time did I feel I was being lectured or condescended to. It was just an interesting, action filled sci-fi movie. And a good one at that!

The story follows Wikus, a mid-level bureaucrat at MNU, the quasi-government corporation tasked with the keeping of the aliens, or prawns, as they're derogatorily referred to. Wikus gets a promotion (because his wife is married to the head of the bureau) and quickly finds himself tasked with removing and relocating the prawns to a new settlement out in the wilderness. Needless to say, things go... poorly for Wikus.

District 9 is one of those movies that is almost like two movies spliced together. The first half of the movie does a lot of building up the tension between the humans and prawns, as well as displaying the conundrum Wikus finds himself thrown into, trying to please his bosses and placate and the prawns at the same time. The second half of the movie is a massive sci-fi action shooter, with secret labs, giant robots and lightning guns that make people explode into itty-bitty chunks. Damn I love that lightning gun...

Anyway, District 9 was really different from anything I've seen in a while, but it was really well done. The aliens, sci-fi guns and special effects blend in really well, and the action is very satisfying. I would describe this movie as Alien Nation meets Blackhawk Down. I know, sounds weird... but it is weird... in a good way. I recommend it.

SCORING: I give District 9 3.5 Agent Smiths out of a possible 5.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger devPaul said...

First!

August 25, 2009 at 10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

All Images and Content © Arizona Steve | 1996 - 2009

Creative Commons License